Sports in Great Britain
1. Sport is very important part of life in Great Britain.
2. Thousands of people devote their leisure time to outdoor and indoor
athletic, mountain climbing, boxing and other sports.
3. Outdoor games played in GB are team games such as football, cricket,
and games in which individuals or couples try their skill, for example
4. The number of spectators shows that the most popular of the team
game is football
and cricket, and the most popular individual game is lawn-tennis.
5. Although Englishmen played a kind of football from the middle age
earlier as an organized game it dates back from just over a century
6. One type of football, in which the players carried the oval ball
in their hands,
appeared in 1859 at Rugby School. 7 .That is why the name took the name
Rugby. 8. The rules of the game are different from football(soccer).
matches get big crowds.
10. The Cup Final is one of the most important football matches of the
England; it is always played at the Wembley stadium, near London. 11.Cricket
is England's national summer game.
12.Nobody knows exactly how old the game is, but some forms of cricket
was being played in England in the 13th century. 13. The rules of the
game have changed over the years.
14. The oldest series of international matches is between England and
Australia, and the team that wins takes home a famous trophy called
The Ashes. 15. And even today for cricket lovers in England and Australia
winning The Ashes is like winning The World Cup for football!
16. In England cricket is played in schools and universities, and almost
all towns have their cricket team which play regularly at least one
match a weak during the season — from May to September. 17. There are
thousands of cricket grounds all over England.
18. The number of people who play lawn-tennis is great. 19. The tennis
championships held at Wimbledon for two weeks at the end of June and
at the beginning of July are the main event of the lawn-tennis season
in Britain and, in fact in the world. 20. These championships in which
men and women of many . nationalities complete, gather large crowds.
21. Many children in Britain learn to swim at school. 22. There are
also indoor swimming pools which makes swimming possible all the year
round. 23. Swimming championships and competitions are widely reported
in press and on TV. 24. Attempts to swim the English channel have been
made by swimmers of many nationalities every summer. 25. Ever sports
event seems very exciting to people in Britain.